Saturday, November 29, 2008

Life before an editor

For any one who has been wondering (not that there are many of you) I have been busy writing. I find that with a career, wife, three kids and other responsibilities, it is imperative that I write efficiently, and unfortunately that has not included Blogging lately. There are a number of things I would love to write about, but one that has given my writing aspirations more hope; an editor. I lovely woman at my church volunteered to read the manuscript of the Sureshot II (as I am still calling it) and edit for me. Now I had the Sureshot edited by about five people I knew, and then a person at Tate Publishing, only to find that my book was published with about 50 errors (one of which was using the word error when I should have used err). There is no need to bring up old hurts, but I was upset. So I was skeptical when she said she would edit for me because I had yet to find someone who was actually skilled at editing. Alas my worries were put to rest. She meticulously combed through my manuscript and found many, many, many errors. As I write another draft using her corrects I can see a polish on my work that was lacking the first time. I am indebted to her, and hope that we can work together in the future. What is more, I have found the amazing value of a good editor, and now realize how rare they are.

No comments: